[phenixbb] PHASER-TFZ scores with ensembles higher?

Gabor Bunkoczi gb360 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 28 01:24:24 PDT 2013

Dear Jan,

I leave the it for the more knowledgeable to answer your question about the
effect of ensembles on TFZ. It is, however, not uncommon that a solution
with an ensemble is difficult to refine (at least with a single model),
esp. when none of the ensemble members are good models (which you have
verified). In this case, you may get better results by building a "chimera"
model (recombining parts of the ensembles that match the electron density
best) and use that one for refinement. We have implemented an automatic
procedure for phaser.MRage output using Tom Terwilliger's
phenix.combine_models program, and this could be modified to work with
Phaser output as well. Let me know if this were potentially useful for you
now.

BW, Gabor

On Jun 28 2013, Jan Gebauer wrote:

>Dear Phaser users,
>
>I recently tried to solve two difficult MR jobs by using ensembles in
>PHASER.
>With ENSEMBLES in this case I mean aligned structures prepared for PHASER
>by Phenix.ENSEMBLER.
>In both case I got solution with rather high TFZ-score (> 8), which I
>couldn't get wit individual structure, but was not able to refine them.
>
> My question is, whether using ensembles would increase the Z-Score
> without really improving phases. In other words, if there is another
> cut-off for the "Phaser solved it" Z-score, when using ensemble in
> contrast to single structures...
>
>Regards,
>Jan

     Dr Gabor Bunkoczi

     Cambridge Institute for Medical Research
     Wellcome Trust/MRC Building
     Addenbrooke's Hospital
     Hills Road
     Cambridge CB2 0XY