[phenixbb] Appropriate number of reflections for FreeR

Edward Berry berrye at upstate.edu
Sun Nov 3 03:50:25 PST 2013

Looking at it from the other side- suppose we say for a robust refinement we need a certain number of reflections- say 4 times the number of atoms, maybe less, I don't know. Any more than that is not really going to affect the structure, So if you have high resolution you can afford to use a large percentage of free reflections, and the cross-validation and maximum liklihood will go really well, even with thin shells. On the other hand at low resolution, well, sorry, you really can't spare any reflections for cross-validation. (I have no idea whether this makes sense or not, but it would be another way of looking at it).

>>> Mark van Raaij  11/01/13 7:39 PM >>>
the limit of 2000 reflections I guess is just because it would be a waste to "throw away" more reflections for refinement, once the statistical minima for calculating a reliable Rfree have been met. I.e. if you have 100.000 reflections, it would be a waste to use 5 or 10% of the reflections instead of just 2%. I'd rather use as many as possible reflections for refinement.