[phenixbb] few questions about resolving new structure through MR

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Thu Nov 7 14:57:38 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Zhihong Yu <nkyuzhih at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. So from your answer, I feel that maybe it's not
> worth to spend much time to resolve the structure through MR based on
> current dataset? Even I can correctly place the domainB, it's still hard to
> resolve the intact protein structure without other phasing information, is
> that right?

There's no absolute rule, but it's extremely difficult even with higher
resolution data.  Sometimes density modification would help but I suspect
the phases just won't be good enough.  With an R-free of 0.55 it is very
unlikely that you'll be able to see anything interpretable in the maps,
even if the model placement is correct.

-Nat