[phenixbb] inputing tNCS into phenix?

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 23 00:33:12 PDT 2014

Hi,

There could be a number of things going on, depending on other factors.  If you had a relatively poor starting model and relatively low resolution, then that could be responsible.  However, if you’ve got a reasonably good (high sequence identity) starting model and reasonable resolution, then I’d expect to do better even in the presence of tNCS — especially if the Patterson peak was weak enough that xtriage didn’t clearly flag it as indicating tNCS.

tNCS often arises when a local symmetry operator (e.g. a dimer axis) is parallel to a crystallographic symmetry axis.  In a subset of these cases, the NCS symmetry is close to crystallographic and sometimes it’s not obvious which is the NCS and which is the crystallographic symmetry.  The old version of Phaser (before the tNCS analysis and correction) often made the wrong choice, but the new version is usually pretty good at making the right choice, at least if it is asked to check all possible space groups and the tNCS is being accounted for in the search.  Did you let Phaser try both P2 and P21 when you ran the molecular replacement search?

Best wishes,

Randy

------
Hills Road                                    E-mail: rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Cambridge CB2 0XY, U.K.                       www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk