[phenixbb] following on the anomalous map

Peter Zwart PHZwart at lbl.gov
Fri Aug 29 03:05:26 PDT 2014

Xtriage assessment critically depends on the quality of the sigma's.
Suboptimal data processing can lead to thinking there is anomalous
signal when there isn't. The CC1/2 for the anomalous data could be
more informative.

The other possibility is of course that your solvent continuum is
anomalous: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16714785

HTH

On 29 August 2014 02:24, Gabor Bunkoczi <gb360 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> I second Nat's explanation on anomalous signal estimation (although in my
> experience, xtriage tends to err more often on the pessimistic side than the
> other way round). However, with an almost perfect model and data collected
> at the peak, the Br peaks should be enormous. Have you looked at the
> Phaser-EP logfile? What is the largest peak found in the map? (I can have a
> look, but please send this logfile to my private email address, and to the
> list.)
>
> Perhaps it would also help if you re-ran the Phaser-EP job, searching for Br
> as well as S atoms. With a good model, it is not uncommon that these could
> be located, even from short wavelength data. This would indicate that the
> anomalous signal you observe comes from sulfur atoms, and not from bromine,
> with the obvious conclusion that Br is either not present or disordered.
>
> BW, Gabor
>

> On 2014-08-28 14:59, CPMAS Chen wrote:
>>
>> HI, Gabor,
>>
>> Thanks for you suggestion.
>>
>> I tried this method, it did not give out NO sites for Br.
>>
>> why there is apparent anomalous signal and I cannot identify any Br
>> sites?
>>
>> As Nat pointed out, other atoms should have very weak anomalous signal
>> diffracted at Br absorption peak (3.8e- for Br, versus 0.2e- for the
>> sulfurs). In the difference map, I can clearly see some peaks at high
>> sigma (> 6), but the anomalous difference map(they are all generated
>> by phenix.refine or phenix.maps) is almost featureless, or the peaks
>> has no overlaps. The anomalous difference gives the possible place of
>> Br while the difference map gives the possible place of the whole
>> ligand, and I assume there should be some overlaps between them. Am I
>> right?
>>
>> Charles
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 6:28 AM, Gabor Bunkoczi <gb360 at cam.ac.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Charles,
>>>
>>> I could be totally misunderstanding what you are trying to achieve,
>>> but I think what you need to do is an MR-SAD calculation. First,
>>> solve the structure with MR (use the macromolecule from the non-Br
>>> structure, or use your current model if you have done refinement on
>>> it), and use the Phaser-EP GUI, and select "SAD starting from MR
>>> model". This should highlight any Br you may have, and gives you a
>>> PDB-file with all the peaks (you can also get a proper anomalous
>>> map, but this is only useful for visualization - the peak search
>>> will identify any peaks you may have).
>>>
>>> Let me know if you need more details!
>>>
>>> BW, Gabor
>>>
>>> On 2014-08-26 14:49, CPMAS Chen wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks. Nat.
>>>
>>> Since I have some MET and CYT in the protein, could I try to supply
>>> their sulfur as the initial anomalous scatters?
>>>
>>> As for the anomalous isomorphous difference map, would it be useful
> [...]

P.H. Zwart
Research Scientist
Berkeley Center for Structural Biology
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratories
1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA-94703, USA
Cell: 510 289 9246
BCSB:      http://bcsb.als.lbl.gov
PHENIX:   http://www.phenix-online.org
SASTBX:  http://sastbx.als.lbl.gov