[phenixbb] following on the anomalous map

Kay Diederichs kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Aug 29 03:46:45 PDT 2014

Hi Charles,

> Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:59:30 -0400
> From: CPMAS Chen <cpmasmit at gmail.com>
> To: Gabor Bunkoczi <gb360 at cam.ac.uk>
> 	<phenixbb at phenix-online.org>
> Subject: Re: [phenixbb] following on the anomalous map
>
> HI, Gabor,
>
> Thanks for you suggestion.
>
> I tried this method, it did not give out NO sites for Br.
>
> why there is apparent anomalous signal and I cannot identify any Br sites?

are you sure that your data processing used the correct parameters?

E.g. in XDS you should definitively be using "FRIEDEL'S_LAW=FALSE". If
you use XSCALE after XDS, it automagically picks up this setting from
XDS_ASCII.HKL i.e. you don't have to specify this again.
If you, by mistake, use FRIEDEL'S_LAW=TRUE, then the large intensity
differences of Friedel pairs will be judged as outliers by XDS, and
these reflections will be rejected - that might lead to featureless maps.

If the anomalous signal is very strong, and the multiplicity is high,
and the Chi^2 values are >1.5, you may also want to use (additionally)
"STRICT_ABSORPTION_CORRECTION=TRUE" . But this is rarely necessary.

There are similar options in other data processing programs. If you mix
and match data processing programs (e.g. XDS integration and aimless
scaling) you have to be careful to have the right settings in all programs.

best,

Kay