[phenixbb] neutron scattering table for specific metal isotope

Tim Gruene tg at shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de
Thu Dec 4 05:46:09 PST 2014

Dear Leif,

you can still make use of the X-ray structure if you use external
restraints - they can stabilise the non-H atom structure.

I don't understand why you need free variables for each of the
exchangeable hydrogens. If you were trying to determine the exchange
rate that might be a little over what crystallography can do for you.
Yet, you find a description of how you can do this from occupancy
refinement without the use of an abundant use of free variables in our
paper http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S1600576713027659
There we made reasonable groups, but if you think you can justify it,
you could do the same for each hydrogen position.

I noticed that there are structures from neutron diffraction in the
PDB with hydrogen occupancies of 0.02 and the respective deuterium at
0.98 - I don't think such an accuracy is justifiable from
crystallographic data, this is merely overfitting the data.

Cheers,
Tim