[phenixbb] metal ions in phenix.ensemble_refinement

Lance Westerhoff lance at quantumbioinc.com
Mon Feb 10 22:01:11 PST 2014

Hi Scott-

We have seen that semiempirical (SE-QM) offers a reasonable accuracy vs. speed tradeoff that is quite applicable to refinement. DFT is probably more then required for refinements at "standard" resolutions since for most cases it probably won't give you much new information, but it will cost a lot more time and memory. But as with anything else, your experiences will probably depend upon the structures of interest.

The PM6 Hamiltonian does a good job and we capture electrostatics, polarization, charge transfer, etc. in real-time at each phenix microcycle in order to model the chemistry within the active site. The 1AZM example I posted in the previous email illustrates how these influences are important. The ATP structure in the Newsletter is another good example:

	http://www.phenix-online.org/newsletter/

Let me know if you are interested in giving it a shot. We have waived the license fee for nonprofit, academic users:

	http://www.quantumbioinc.com/products/software_licensing

Thanks!

-Lance