[phenixbb] alternatives to RMSD

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Jul 7 13:02:21 PDT 2014

Hi Tim,

consider two atoms located at say 1A distance apart. In one case their
B-factors are 1A**2 and in the second case their B-factors are 100A**2.
In the first case these are two individual atoms and measuring distance
between them makes sense, while in the second case atoms virtually
coincide (within the cloud of their possible locations, given their
B-factor) and therefore measuring distance between them isn't very
meaningful. Using the map would differentiate these two scenarios, while
usual way of computing RMSD would not. I guess this is what I was trying
to say in my previous post.

Whether the values of a metric of choice are intuitive or not is a
separate question. After all you can always calibrate your expectations
using examples with known answer.

Pavel