[phenixbb] alternatives to RMSD

Tim Gruene tg at shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de
Mon Jul 7 13:37:52 PDT 2014

Hi Pavel,

if the B-value would correspond to a cloud of possible locations, one
should be able to move an atom within the cloud without altering the
R-value and other quality indicators and without a refinement program
moving the atom back to where it came from.

In my experience this is not the case, why I prefer the (original)
scientific interpretation of the B-value as to model of harmonic motion
rather than its statistical. That is also the reason why I am not a
friend of exorbital B-values in PDB-files. I think they tend to fudge
poor modelling.

Cheers,
Tim