[phenixbb] Refinement with new mtz.file

Morten Grøftehauge mortengroftehauge.work at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 07:35:19 PDT 2014

Go to "Reflection Tools" and open "Reflection file editor".
Add the two files, the one you want your Rfree flags from and the one with
your new reflections.
Scroll down and click "Copy all arrays". Now delete the ones you don't want
in the output arrays.
Go to the "Output options" tab. "Extend existing..." should be ticked by
default.

Now, since you have almost doubled your number of reflections you are still
heavily biased on the Rfree. There will probably be a heap of people who
disagree but I think the best way to use a simple simulated annealing. It
takes a while but you get a bunch of rounds of random noise + refinement.

And you will probably end up with a slightly higher Rfree. I think 24% is
very low for 3 Å data but then you have a large unit cell and probably a
very high NCS. Possibly started from some very good search models. If you
have a complex and one component is structure determined at a better
resolution then you can use that as restraint (constraint? I can never
remember the difference).

And yes, data processing has improved immensely in later years. AIMLESS is
great.

Cheers,
Morten

Morten K Grøftehauge, PhD