[phenixbb] More problems with HEM.cif?

Edward A. Berry BerryE at upstate.edu
Thu Jun 19 13:32:38 PDT 2014

No, those are actually double bonds (hence the name "vinyl"),
unless it it is a c-type heme, in which case you should be using HEC.cif
$CCP4/lib/data/monomers/h/HEM.cif:
  HEM      CBC    CAC       double      1.329    0.020
  HEM      CBB    CAB       double      1.330    0.020
$CCP4/lib/data/monomers/h/HEC.cif
  HEC      CBC    CAC       single      1.510    0.020
  HEC      CBB    CAB       single      1.510    0.020

This is because cysteine Sg's covalently link the vinyl groups,
adding across the double bond as it were.
Unless you have trypanosome or Euglena cytochrome,
in which case one vinyl is native and the other
is substituted by cysteine.
eab