[phenixbb] NCS in mr_rosetta

Engin Özkan eozkan at uchicago.edu
Thu May 15 08:03:42 PDT 2014

Hi,

I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but NCS has been used in
MR searches for some time. Check out locked cross rotation and
translation functions. The implementation of it I am familiar with is in
GLRF and TF, from Liang Tong's lab (comes with amazing documentation by
the authors, see references therein). Locked self/cross rotation
functions may be valuable especially for those dealing with very high
NCS, as in viruses.

http://tonglab.biology.columbia.edu/Public/Replace/glrf/contents/glrf-contents.html

I also know that molrep and amore have implementations, but I am not too
familiar with those. However, I have seen the locked RF/dyad searches
being useful with molrep.

Personally, I have been limited in cases where the number of NCS copies
have been prohibitive to successful MR searches, so I would love to see
NCS info incorporated into MR searches in Phaser, etc. In one case,
where we had a 95%-identical MR model, all searches failed due to 12
copies in the asu. When the dimeric structure was solved and the problem
was reduced to finding only 1/6th (~17%) of the diffracting mass in the
asu at every search step, the MR search was readily successful (This was
done at 3.9 A resolution using Phaser). I usually think when searching
for less than 15% of the asu, one can fail regardless of search model
quality.

Another issue I had to contend with was improper (but not translational)
NCS (that was the case in the 12-fold NCS), which may not be handled
well by any algorithm/software. Anyway, I would vote for Phaser
utilizing NCS information, if there were a vote on this.

Engin