[phenixbb] simulated annealing omit map

Dale Tronrud detBB at daletronrud.com
Fri Nov 14 14:06:30 PST 2014

   Pavel has already responded to most of these points but I would
like to add a few notes.

   The fact that after you build a ligand you see that the density
greatly "improves" is quite scary to me.  This sounds more like the
map is echoing back your model and not confirming it.  I would delay
building the ligand until everything else in the model has been
corrected to get the most reliable and unbiased map possible and then
try to figure out what is there.  There is no reason to rush the
interpretation if there is more work to do on the back side of the
protein.

   The mistake you appear to be making is to ask the question "Does my
ligand fit the map?"  Even if something has bound, you don't know for
sure that it is your ligand.  The fact that you built your ligand into
the pocket and your stats improved does not mean that building
something else wouldn't have improved them more.  You can't simply see
density and assume it is density for your ligand.

   The fact that you have to contour at lower than usual levels
indicates that whatever is there is not at full occupancy.  This makes
identifying the true occupant of your site much more difficult.

   First you have to decide what possible things might be binding to
your protein and identify the most visible characteristics of each.
I'm used to working with chlorophyll so I'll use that as an example.
A chlorophyll is a big and flat dinner plate.  Unlike most other big
conjugated molecules, a porphyrin usually has a ligand that bind right
in the center.  While heme is also a common porphyrin the metal at its
center usually is much more electron rich, while the chlorophyll has a
"flag" stiking up from one of its ringlets. These are the sorts of
details you have to have in mind when looking at your density.

   Also remember that if whatever is in your binding pocket is there
only 60% of the time, something else is probably there 40% of the
time.  Your density will include that too.  It is very handy to have an
isomorphous apo crystal form so you can see what that 40% looks like.
 If you have that apo data you can get a clearer view of the
difference upon binding with an Fo-Fo map.

   Pavel has listed a number of types of maps to calculate that are
all good possibility but each has its drawbacks (which he listed).  I
am a big advocate of the "discovery map" because if it doesn't show
clearly that your ligand is the best interpretation than you shouldn't
be writing the paper to begin with.  Holding off on building the
ligand as long as possible will give the best map possible and you the
best shot at not making a mistake.

   On the other hand the discovery map is just a difference map and
suffers the same limitation Pavel mentioned about the limitations of
bulk solvent models.  One solution is an idea advocated by Andy
Karplus that he calls the "clean difference map".  This will sound odd
from coming from a person who has spent decades trying to convince
people to refine their models against all their data, but just because
you refine against all the data doesn't mean you have to include it
all in your map calculation.  A distinction between the bulk solvent
model which may be inappropriately flooding into your pocket and the
density of a true ligand is that the true ligand will have high
resolution features.  You can filter out the undesired bulk solvent
contribution by leaving out the low resolution reflections when
calculating your Fo-Fc map.  This is what Andy calls a "clean
difference map".  The clean difference map will have artifacts due to
the low resolution series termination ripples, but they will be
different than the artifacts due to the inappropriate bulk solvent
model in your pocket.  The features that are common to the two maps
should be unrelated to either set of artifacts and more likely due to
the true contents of the pocket.  Give it a shot, it can't hurt.  We
usually cut off at around 6A resolution because between 5 and 6 is
when the bulk solvent scattering really starts to kick in.

   You also asked if burning your crystals could improve the map.  If
you have more crystals I would recommend soaking them in a higher
concentration of ligand.  No amount of fancy data collection is going
to make the density of a low occupancy compound stronger.  Getting the
occupancy up will do you worlds of good.

Dale Tronrud