[phenixbb] explicit solvent in low resolution refinement

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Sun Nov 16 14:43:59 PST 2014

Hello,

I tried this idea back in 2004. In a nutshell: using all (or categorized
subset of) structures in PDB we can learn about distribution of
structured water and given this knowledge we can build an a priori
contribution of scattering arising from such water to the scattering of
any given new structure or a structure at low resolution (where the
water is not visible in maps).

Either I did not spend enough time on this or the idea wasn't viable,
but one way or another this did not work in my hands. I think it may be
worth revisiting this 10 years later! Perhaps I would do it better now
than back then!

All the best,
Pavel