[phenixbb] Fo-Fc omit map for ligand in the protein-ligand structure

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Sat Sep 13 15:03:36 PDT 2014

Hi Wei,

I think I replied to a very similar question on this mailing list some
time ago (in August).

There are two commonly used options for omitting the ligand in order to
demonstrate its presence/absence in Fo-Fc OMIT map:

1) Physically remove the ligand from PDB file. Then do some refinement
and calculate Fo-Fc map.

2) Keep ligand in the file, set its occupancy to zero. Then, again, do
some refinement and calculate Fo-Fc map. In this case you may want to
ask refinement program to not move the ligand or move it only a little.

Now, here is why these two options are poor and will not give you what
you want.

In the first case the bulk-solvent mask will be set in the ligand region
and therefore it will mask ligand density (bulk-solvent will be filled
into the ligand region). Depending on the strength of ligand density it
may be masked completely or deteriorated.

If you follow the second option you will always get positive density in
ligand area. This density may correspond to bulk-solvent, ligand or
mixture of both. That is there will be no simple way to differentiate
whether this density arises from the ligand or bulk-solvent.

At some point I've spent a day doing tests to exemplify all this.

Here is how to do this right. You need to define a box around the ligand
that covers the ligand itself and some volume around it, then omit all
scattering from inside the box (ligand and bulk-solvent!), and then use
this model with box omitted to calculate residual synthesis.

I don't think we have a ready to use tool in Phenix to do this. It's
possible to do this with some scripting using CCTBX.

Pavel