[phenixbb] Fo-Fc omit map for ligand in the protein-ligand structure

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Sep 15 00:23:16 PDT 2014

Hi Wei,

I'm glad this discussion gave you some food for thought! -:)

If you have no programing experience with CCTBX then this may not be the
best route to take. I mentioned CCTBX in my previous email just to
identify this as a possible option. However the amount of scripting
necessary to achieve this may be prohibitive for novices to CCTBX.

At present we do not have tools in Phenix that compute local OMIT maps
most optimally (and I'm not aware of such tools outside of Phenix). We
do have great tools to calculate various kinds of OMIT maps but I
believe they are suboptimal in contexts like yours for reasons I
explained in one of my previous emails in this thread. In fact I'm
preparing a manuscript that discusses this matter and hopefully makes my
points clearer.

Options you have are:

1) I'm going to add a tool that I plan to call
phenix.difference_omit_map (or something similar) that will calculate
OMIT map the way I described before. With some luck it may be available
in nightly builds by end of this week.

2) If you can't wait you can just follow Nat's suggestions. If ligand
density is sufficiently strong and you use tools correctly you may get
what you want. However if ligand density is weak the OMIT map may not be
useful as bulk-solvent may obscure the ligand density..

3) You can send me files off list and I will calculate the OMIT map for you.

All the best,
Pavel