[phenixbb] Structure with pseudo-NCS translation

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Apr 3 10:58:35 PDT 2015

Hi Esko,

thanks for the paper - very interesting!

Perhaps accounting for ptNCS matters a lot for structure solution or/and
refinement/model building at early stages, however I did not see any
problem with refinement in this particular example.

Here is what I did:

1) Get model and data from PDB:

phenix.fetch_pdb 1yup --mtz

2) Get initial statistics: R-factors from PDB file header, geometry
using command:

phenix.pdbtools model_stat=true 1yup.pdb

Rwork=0.235 Rfree=0.311
  all-atom clashscore : 8.21
  ramachandran plot:
    outliers : 1.52  %
    allowed  : 7.43  %
    favored  : 91.05 %
  rotamer outliers : 14.11 %
  cbeta deviations : 3

3) Then I perturbed the model and refined it with phenix.refine
(restrained coordinates and B-factors, water update, weights
optimization, local real-space refinement). Here is the statistics for
refined model:

Rwork=0.2380 Rfree=0.2709
  all-atom clashscore : 10.61
  ramachandran plot:
    outliers : 0.80  %
    allowed  : 5.20  %
    favored  : 94.00 %
  rotamer outliers : 2.38 %
  cbeta deviations : 0

Just to make it clear: I'm *not* saying we shouldn't account for ptNCS
in refinement; in fact, we really should especially given that Randy
Read et al worked out all the methods for this!

I will re-visit this once we implement ptNCS in phenix.refine.

All the best,
Pavel