[phenixbb] FEM map calculation without model?

Oliver Clarke olibclarke at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:06:10 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Is there any way to apply the local map sharpening and histogram equalization procedures described as part of the FEM map generation procedure (described in “FEM: feature-enhanced map”, Afonine et al,mActa D71 2015) to an MTZ containing amplitudes and phases only, without a model (e.g. as generated by phenix.map_to_structure_factors)?

I would like to see if these different approaches to map modification are useful for improving maps derived from cryoEM. I guess there is no way to do the random map perturbation part of the FEM procedure without a model, but the sharpening and histogram equalization seem like they might be applicable?

Best,
Oliver.