[phenixbb] -differences in refinement stats between phenix-dev-2219 and -1.9-1692

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Sun Dec 13 10:11:54 PST 2015

Hi Ezequiel,

just to make it clear: torsion-angle NCS, Optimize X-ray/stereo weight
are *not* the default settings, therefore you did customize the
refinement parameters.

At this resolution (1.3A) you do not need to use NCS restraints.

Also, you say you used "Automatically add H's" however the PDB file you
sent me does not contain any H atoms. Furthermore, the PDB file header
says H are present:

REMARK MODEL CONTENT.
REMARK  ELEMENT        ATOM RECORD COUNT   OCCUPANCY SUM
REMARK        C                     1275 1047.00
*REMARK        H                     2029 1649.00 *
REMARK        O                      559 488.50
REMARK        N                      315 263.00
REMARK        S                        6 6.00
REMARK       Cu                        4 2.89
REMARK    TOTAL                     4188 3456.39

So overall this make an impression that something has gone wrong.

Way forward:

1) Take the file you sent me;

2) Add H atoms:

phenix.reduce model_no_h.pdb > model_with_h.pdb

3) Use new file with H atoms added to run refinement. The only setting
different from defaults should be "Optimize X-ray/stereo weight".
Perhaps you can also enable automated water update.

I just did all this myself and got nicely refined model with

Final: r_work = 0.1624 r_free = 0.1939 bonds = 0.010 angles = 1.030

Corresponding PDB and MTZ are sent in a separate email that goes to you
only (off mailing list).

Pavel