[phenixbb] Phenix refine - R free does not decrease

Andreas Förster docandreas at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 02:06:34 PST 2015

Dear Almudena,

I promise not to make a habit of advertising other programs on the
Phenix mailing list, but just once I would like to encourage you (and
the community) to try all the tools at your disposal.

Different refinement programs have different strength and weaknesses.
Secondary-structure restraints in Phenix are great for low-resolution
data, but so is jelly-body refinement in Refmac.  A dodgy 3.2 Å
structure I'm currently working on was improved dramatically by
Buster-TNT.  The Ramachandran plot tightened, and R free plunged by four
percentage points.

Andreas