[phenixbb] refinement with anomalous data

Dale Tronrud detBB at daletronrud.com
Fri Feb 6 11:44:02 PST 2015

   What you are confusing is "reflection/parameter ratio" with
"independent observation/parameter ratio".  An independent observation
is one where your couldn't guess the outcome of the measurement before
you made it.  When there is no anomalous scattering you can predict
with great reliability F- once you have measured F+ so you can't count
them both.

   This whole business of counting observations and counting
parameters really doesn't work with nonlinear mathematics so it is
really only a broad rule-of-thumb for us - even when you are careful
in your count.

Dale Tronrud