[phenixbb] making coarse maps

Dale Tronrud detBB at daletronrud.com
Fri Jan 30 10:50:00 PST 2015

Hi,

   Calculating a 2 A resolution map on a 3 A grid is not the same as
calculating a 6 A resolution truncated map at a 3 A grid.  An FFT
program will not calculate a 3 A grid map for a higher resolution data
set because the algorithm insists on preserving information and such a
course grid cannot hold all the data of a 2 A dataset.

   What you could do is calculate your map on a 1 A grid using an FFT
and write a little program to throw away two of every three grid
points. Or you could find a direct summation FT program that will be
happy to calculate density values where ever you want.

   On the other hand, you should really think about why you want to do
this.  The reason there isn't a ready and simple solution to calculate
this map for you is most people conclude that it isn't a good idea.
Without knowing your application I'll withhold judgement, but you do
lose a lot of information by sampling this coarsely and high
resolution information is usually useful if you have it.

Dale Tronrud

*From:* phenixbb-bounces at phenix-online.org