[phenixbb] R free assignment in thin shells

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Thu Jun 4 10:36:38 PDT 2015

Hi Mohamed and Tim,

I'm yet to see if using "thin-shells" vs random make a notable
difference, however, for the record, I think it is worthwhile to point
out this paper where authors explain and demonstrate why using
"thin-shells" is important in case of high-order NCS:

Acta Cryst. (2006). D62, 227-238
Bias in cross-validated free R factors: mitigation of the effects of
non-crystallographic symmetry
F. Fabiola, A. Korostelev and M. S. Chapman

On ML and Rfree comment:

- ML is superior than LS if your model (atomic + nonatomic) misses
scattering, that is incomplete, because ML takes missing scattering into
account statistically;

- free set must be available for ML target calculation, so if you use ML
then you get Rfree as a bonus.

Pavel