[phenixbb] phenix.polder - tool for calculating omit maps by excluding bulk solvent

Tim Gruene tim.gruene at psi.ch
Thu Apr 21 06:21:38 PDT 2016

Dear Dorothee,

With squeeze, you remove solvent in order to make features visible lying
underneath the noise density of the solvent. That's reminiscent to me as the
cartoon on p.9 of the phenix_polder.pdf

In Platon, the structure factors are calculated from the density in the
solvent region, Eq. (4) in the Platon paper. That appears to be the same as
explained for phenix_polder on p. 4, except that phenix replaces
rho(x_solvent) with 1 for the mask. The equation on p.2 of the PDF-file is
identical to the line below Eq. 4 in the SQUEEZE paper, so it seems
conceptually pretty much the same to me.

Since SQUEEZE was presented at the ACA in 1998 (based on a paper from 1990), I
thought you may have been motivated by it. It is probably not much surprising
that good ideas get invented at various places.

Best wishes,
Tim