[phenixbb] Dual conformation on symmetry axis

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Feb 5 07:35:58 PST 2016

Hi,

> density on symmetry elements usually displays artefacts and is difficult to
> interpret.

I've seen this rumor perpetuated so many times.. I think I can also say
"Fourier maps show artifacts anywhere in the unit cell volume (including
symmetry elements) that originate, for example, from: a) finite
resolution and partial completeness of the data, b) errors in crystal
structure model (model is always used as a source of phase information),
c) measurement errors. These artifacts are difficult (and unnecessarily)
to interpret in terms of atomic model.". Are symmetry elements somewhat
special in this regard (that is one sees more artifacts on symmetry
elements than anywhere else)? If this is the case, can someone provide
convincing reasoning for this (not hand-waving!)?

Thanks,