[phenixbb] Refine pixel size of map (for EM data)?

Edward A. Berry BerryE at upstate.edu
Mon Feb 8 07:46:11 PST 2016

I think the option to refine cell would be useful for x-ray structures as well.

One of the checks in whatcheck is (or at least was) to suggest corrections to cell
based on bond length deviations along the direction of each axis.

Unfortunately it seems the ideal bond lengths in whatcheck were slightly
different from those in CNS which we used for refinement, so after refining
with the corrected cell and running whatcheck again, it would suggest
another correction of about the same magnitude in the same direction.
Cycling several times we ended up with quite different cell parameters
with relatively little change in R (I didn't look at bond deviations,
and this was a low-resolution, high R structure).

Of course the camera length and xray wvelength should be known
to high precision, in which case this would be just a fudge factor,
but with only 3-6 parameters it shouldn't affect the refinement much.
After all it is fairly standard during spot integration to refine
camera length (at least for HKL users), and if that is in doubt
then so are the cell parameters.

Ed