[phenixbb] Refinement differences?

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Wed Feb 10 20:53:48 PST 2016

Hi Mark,

to me statistics from both refinement runs look essentially the same in
a sense that if you run say 100 refinement jobs each one starting with
slightly perturbed structure (shake in coordinates with rmsd~0.3-0.5A,
shake in B-factor) you will get ensemble of essentially the same but
still slightly different refined models. Variation in R-factors my be
~0.5-2% between models in the ensemble. Geometry may vary slightly as
well. With this in mind I would say different numbers you get are within
the spread and I doubt the differences are really significant.

The strangest thing to me is that you still get ~9% or rotamer outliers:
2155 is supposed to be much better in eliminating rotamer outliers
(although it is still limited to without H included).

I agree with Eckhard: we made a lot of changed recently, such as re-do
NCS how NCS works, using CDL (conformation dependent library for
restraints), etc..

Of course there may be other reasons for differences between these two
runs but this is all I can tell given amount of information provided!

All the best,
Pavel