[phenixbb] Phenix Refine Place Elemental Ions

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Sat Jan 30 09:25:29 PST 2016

Hello,

> I have questions about this: 1. In my crystallization condition I have
> 80 mM CaCl2 and 5mM MgCl2. How should I enter the ions to search for
> into the GUI? Should I enter "Ca; Mg" or "Ca and Mg" or "Calcium and
> Magnesium" ?

I would try
Ca, Mg
or
Ca Mg
and then check log file to see if that was recognized

> I wonder how the Phenix Refine can really differentiate Ca or Mg in
> the map.

It will need anomalous signal from anomalous data.

> 2. Phenix Refine says the place elemental ion option works best with
> anomalous data, does the anomalous completeness needs to be over 80%
> to consider anomalous data?

If it doesn't say this then this is probably not a hard requirement.

>   Does this help Phenix Refine to locate elemental ions?

If your data is truly anomalous and anomalous signal is present then it
should help refinement to locate ions.

I would just try and see what happens.