[phenixbb] Very low rmsd bond length

Tim Gruene tim.gruene at psi.ch
Mon Aug 7 08:57:32 PDT 2017

Dear Luke,

I missed where your quote comes from, so please apologise if I address you
incorrectly.

The statement

We prefer to maintain Rfree and (Rfree-Rwork) both as small as possible to
minimize the possibility of overfitting.

is not quite right: there is an expected gap between Rfree and Rwork, i.e. if
this gap becomes too small, something is wrong, e.g. a real contamination of
Rfree by an oversight of Twinning, NCS, or a higher space group (Ian Tickle's
articles on this topic is probably the best reference and available at Acta
Cryst).

Best,
Tim