[phenixbb] FASTA format for sequence file

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 6 00:13:01 PST 2018

Hi,

I have some recollection that we may have made the error report more informative, if you're using an older version.

Here, off the top of my head, are some possibilities for what is wrong:

1. The sequence contains a letter other than the 20 representing standard amino acids.

2. When you say "carrot", you mean "caret", i.e. the character "^", or something else other than the greater-than sign ">" that is used to identify the line with the name.

3. Something that looks like a normal allowed letter is actually a similar-looking special symbol.

When other people have had similar problems, it has sometimes been due to saving a sequence as RTF or Word format, but I think you've ruled out that possibility with your tests.  On a Unix system, you can make sure by giving a command like "file mysequence.seq" and checking that it returns "ASCII text".

If none of those possibilities cover what is happening, could you send me examples of the sequence files that are and are not accepted by Phaser?

Thanks!

Best wishes,

Randy Read