[phenixbb] How to change the FOBS/SIGMA_FOBS value in phenix.refine

Randy Read rjr27 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 8 00:38:12 PST 2018

Dear Jianxu,

What you're seeing here is the effect of the French and Wilson algorithm to turn intensities into amplitudes.  As the SIGI gets larger and larger, the French and Wilson algorithm provides an F that becomes closer and closer to the mean amplitude in the Wilson distribution for amplitudes, and the SIGF becomes closer and closer to the rms deviation from the mean amplitude in the Wilson distribution.  As a result the minimum F/SIGF that you can possibly find is about 1.913 for acentric reflections and 1.324 for centric reflections (http://journals.iucr.org/d/issues/2016/03/00/dz5382/index.html#FD29).  The 1.35 that you see would be for a centric reflection that is close to having no information in the original intensity measurement.

Best wishes,

Randy Read