[phenixbb] How to change the FOBS/SIGMA_FOBS value in phenix.refine

Engin Özkan eozkan at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 8 07:55:17 PST 2018

Dear Randy and Pavel,

There is one complication that arises from the report of the
MIN(FOBS/SIGMA_FOBS) value in pdb files from phenix.refine. Nearly every
PDB entry using phenix.refine reports a F/sig(F) cutoff value of 1.3x,
while Buster and Refmac-generated pdbs have 0 or -/None for that value
(just checked again with this week's released PDBs). This is clearly not
intended. Again, the value the Protein Data Bank is reporting is a
cutoff, based on the minimum value phenix.refine appears to report.
Since I use French-Wilson for I to F conversions, I have had to correct
this cutoff value by communicating with PDB with every deposition, but
it appears that most users rarely go through the trouble.

The issue seems to arise from a lack of a cutoff value in the
phenix.refine generated .pdb files; Refmac has a DATA CUTOFF (SIGMA(F))
(set to NONE by default), which is picked up during structure
deposition. So, either PDB has to be told that phenix.refine min value
is just a minumum value and not a cutoff, or phenix.refine might add
another REMARK card for DATA CUTOFF (SIGMA(F)) under the DATA USED IN
REFINEMENT. section in REMARKS.

Hope this helps,
Engin