[phenixbb] Table 1 successor in 3D?

Gerard Bricogne gb10 at globalphasing.com
Tue Jun 12 09:24:07 PDT 2018

Dear John and Loes,

     Thank you for reiterating on this BB your point about depositing
raw diffraction images. I will never disagree with any promotion of
that deposition, or praise of its benefits, given that I was one of
the earliest proponents and most persistently vociferous defenders of
the idea, long before it gained general acceptance (see Acta D65, 2009
176-185). There has never been any statement on our part that the
analysis done by STARANISO disposes of the need to store the original
images and to revisit them regularly with improved processing and/or
troubleshooting software. At any given stage in this evolution,
however, (re)processing results will need to be displayed, and it is
with the matter of what information about data quality is conveyed (or
not) by various modes of presentation of such results that Bernhard's
argument and (part of) our work on STARANISO are concerned.

     Furthermore we have made available the PDBpeep server at

     http://staraniso.globalphasing.org/cgi-bin/PDBpeep.cgi

that takes as input a 4-character PDB entry code and generates figures
from the deposited *merged amplitudes* associated with that entry. The
numbers coming out of a PDBpeep run may well have questionable
quantitative value (this is pointed out in the home page for that
server) but the 3D WebGL picture it produces has informative value
independently from that. Take a look, for instance, at 4zc9, 5f6m or
6c79: it is quite plain that these high-resolution datasets have
significant systematic incompleteness issues, a conclusion that would
not necessarily jump out of a Table 1 page, even after reprocessing
the original raw images, without that 3D display.

     The truly pertinent point about this work in relation to keeping
raw images is that the STARANISO display very often suggests that the
merged data have been subjected to too drastic a resolution cut-off,
and that it would therefore be worth going back to the raw images and
to let autoPROC+STARANISO apply a more judicious cut-off. Sometimes,
however, as in the example given in Bernhard's paper, significant data
fail to be recorded because the detector was positioned too far from
the crystal, in which case the raw images would only confirm that
infelicity and would provide no means of remediating it.

     With best wishes,

          Gerard.