[phenixbb] High B factors

Kay Diederichs Kay.Diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Jul 12 00:08:37 PDT 2019

Dear Sozanne,

I expect these data were collected at a synchrotron, and they are quite
weak at 2.5A? (would be good to know CC1/2 in the high-resolution shell)

If so, what you see is normal, and there's most likely nothing wrong
with your data or model. I've seen Wilson and average B-factors higher
than the ones you cite, for perfectly correct models and well-measured
data. It is just a fact that your protein's atoms vibrate in the
lattice, and the B factors are a way to measure how much.

There is a mathematical relation between B-factors and strength of
diffraction at high resolution; the higher the former, the lower the
latter.

best,
Kay

--
Kay Diederichs                http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de
email: Kay.Diederichs at uni-konstanz.de    Tel +49 7531 88 4049 Fax 3183

This e-mail is digitally signed. If your e-mail client does not have the
necessary capabilities, just ignore the attached signature "smime.p7s".