[phenixbb] Phenix installation on macOS 14 Sonoma

Kizziah, James kizziah4 at uab.edu
Thu Sep 28 08:51:49 PDT 2023

Hi all,

I am having trouble getting Phenix to open on a new mac.

I downloaded the latest official release of the point-and-click installer, ran xattr -c on it, and installed without issue. Initially, I can create the first project directory (or recreate it if I remove the .phenix directory), but then I get a notice that another instance of Phenix is running with the associated PID. If I continue anyway, python quits unexpectedly, and if Phenix is opened in the command line, this reply is given:

“python[9678:116756] It's not legal to call -layoutSubtreeIfNeeded on a view which is already being laid out.  If you are implementing the view's -layout method, you can call -[super layout] instead. Break on void _NSDetectedLayoutRecursion(void) to debug.  This will be logged only once.  This may break in the future.

[3]    segmentation fault  phenix”

However, the PID for this supposed other instance doesn’t exist. This occurs every time Phenix is run from Applications or in the command line, even after restarting the laptop (without resuming programs) or deleting and reinstalling Phenix.

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Thanks,

James