[phenixbb] treating the water molecules in the model

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Jan 19 21:25:21 PST 2024

Hi Dmitry,

Here are the considerations regarding water picking in cryo-EM maps:

Unlike crystallography, where changing the model changes the maps (e.g.,
adding more structure improves the maps), in cryo-EM, changing the model
does not change the map. Therefore, tasks such as refining B factors and
adding water are best done using the most complete and accurate atomic
model of the macromolecule, preferably towards the end.

Once you have added water, you need to run a round of refinement and
check all water manually. While automated tools generally add water
reasonably well, there is no 100% guarantee that all water will be
correct. Typically, you perform this step once towards the end.

"Flying water" seems to be an issue indeed. While I'm working on the
solution, a quick and easy workaround for you to use now is to restrain
water positions to their original coordinates using weak harmonic
restraints. Keywords you'll need:

reference_coordinate_restraints.enabled=true

reference_coordinate_restraints.selection=water

reference_coordinate_restraints.sigma=0.2

(also can be set up in the GUI).

Let me know if you have any questions or need help!

Good luck!

Pavel