[phenixbb] RealSpaceRefine Nucleic acid SS restraints ?

Guillaume Gaullier guillaume.gaullier at kemi.uu.se
Wed Jan 31 01:42:43 PST 2024

Hello Philippe,

Regarding occupancy refinement, by default phenix.refine only refines atoms that already had a partial occupancy in the input model. This is explained here: https://phenix-online.org/documentation/reference/refinement.html#occupancy-refinement
I don’t know if phenix.real_space_refine has the same default setting (you could find out by having it write out its defaults, I think there is a command-line option for this). But most likely, occupancy refinement is not the culprit if these atoms had full occupancy in your starting model.

Occupancy refinement does not seem warranted in this particular case anyway, since you said you don’t see clear alternative conformations but rather a very blurry density at the DNA ends. B-factor refinement would be better suited.

Last, I remember that Tristan Croll noted somewhere (can’t remember if it was on this list or the chimerax-users list; maybe it’s also somewhere in ISOLDE’s documentation) that models from MD simulations systematically deviate from the bond length and bond angle distributions that refinement programs target. I don’t remember the details, but it seems relevant to what you are doing so I figured I would point it out.

I don’t know how to make the SS restraints apply correctly, but I hope these observations still help a bit!
Cheers,

Guillaume