[phenixbb] red blobs (Andrea Smith)

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Mar 15 08:16:13 PDT 2024

Hi All,

The explanation of the reason for these blobs and the solution is both
detailed in depth in this paper:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/pro.4909

Quick facts are:

- These blobs are artifacts of bulk-solvent modeling.
- You can efficiently deal with them in Phenix.
- In some cases (which I witnessed myself), it is important to deal with
them for map improvements elsewhere (for example, in regions of
interest, such as ligands).

Let me know if you have any questions!

All the best,
Pavel