[cctbxbb] differing build and install directories?

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at cci.lbl.gov
Wed Sep 28 08:54:50 PDT 2005

Hi Bill,

Sorry that I dropped the ball on this question before.

Erik outlines the best way of creating a portable cctbx bundle, but in
this case there may be a simpler alternative:

  - simply cp -r the installation into the final destination

  - re-run

      python .../libtbx/configure.py mmtbx

    in the new build directory location. This will update all full
    paths.

Note though that this simple approach will preserve all intermediate
files created by the build procedure (i.e. all the .o files and some
auto-generated C++ files). But please try this out first. If it does
what you want we can think about ways of getting rid of the unwanted
files.

> The other issue is that I need to hard-code in the DYLIB path

I hope that we don't have to do this, although I'd be willing to
modify the central SConscript to optionally support hard-coded paths if
there really is no alternative.

> instead
> of relying on an environment variable, which I am not allowed to set.

All cctbx commands on PATH go through "dispatchers". To see how it
works, look at any of the auto-generated scripts in the "bin"
subdirectory of the build directory. The dispatchers are basically
all the same; only the last few lines differ. Each dispatcher updates
PYTHONPATH and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH "just in time" to finally start the
target command. I.e. there are no permanent settings in the environment.
You just have to add the "bin" directory to PATH if you don't want
to type the full path name to each command all the time (which will
also work). Is this going to work for you?

Cheers,
        Ralf