[cctbxbb] differing build and install directories?

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 17:40:01 PDT 2005

--- William Scott <wgscott at chemistry.ucsc.edu> wrote:

> Hi Ralf:
>
> Sorry -- I didn't get a chance to try this until just now.  I'm
> running the tests and they all seem to work.  Many thanks for your help.

You are welcome!

> On Sep 28, 2005, at 8:54 AM, Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:
> >  Each dispatcher updates
> > PYTHONPATH and DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH "just in time" to finally start the
> > target command. I.e. there are no permanent settings in the
> > environment.
> > You just have to add the "bin" directory to PATH if you don't want
> > to type the full path name to each command all the time (which will
> > also work). Is this going to work for you?
>
> I haven't yet tried it, but I think this is absolutely fine.

I should have added:

The best way to add the "bin" directory to PATH is to

  source setpaths.csh

or

  . setpaths.sh

It is basically equivalent to

  set path=(/what/ever/bin $path)

but you can source the setpath scripts 100 times and PATH doesn't get longer;
it actually cleans up PATH by removing any duplicates. (This can be important
under IRIX since the limit on the length of PATH is fairly small.)

Cheers,
        Ralf