[cctbxbb] Asymmetric Unit with cctbx

Philipp Heuser philipp.heuser at embl-hamburg.de
Fri Jun 22 04:52:11 PDT 2007

Hi Ralf, hi list,

I am really sorry to bother you again with the same question, but after
playing around with the tag_array, I think that was not really what I
was looking for. On the one hand it identifies all  the points which are
related to each other by symmetry, but it does not return the asymetric
unit itself as listed in the crystallographic space group tables. E.g.
if I copy all points where the tag_array is < 0 to a new grid, I end up
with an uncontinuous grid.

As far as I got it one possibility to get an continuous asymmetric unit
would be to analyse the facets, which are given by
miller_array.direct_space_asu().facets . Unfortunately I was not able
yet to figure out if there is a methd included in the cctbx to apply
these facets to my x,y,z real_map.

If such an method is available it would be great to know how to use it!

Thanks
Philipp

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve schrieb:
> Hi Phillip,
>
> sorry, that was an oversight. Replace
>
> -  real_map = fft_map.real_map()
> +  real_map = fft_map.real_map_unpadded()
>
> and it should print identical values.
>
> > Is there any reason for the different sizes of the tag_array and the
> > real_map? real_map.last() and tag_array.last() show different results.
>
> That was exactly the problem. The real_map is padded because of FFT
> requirements. The tag_array is not.
>
> .real_map_unpadded() will make a copy. There will be another copy to
> restore the padding in .structure_factors_from_map() call. The two
> copies can be avoided in C++, but it is to cumbersome from Python.
>
> Ralf

Dr Philipp Heuser
Postdoctoral fellow

EMBL-Hamburg