[cctbxbb] coordinates -> space group + matrices

Kris Andersen Kris.Andersen at nau.edu
Tue Sep 18 13:57:57 PDT 2007

Ralf, thanks for your reply as well. Let me see if I understand.

Since I can get the lattice symmetry easily, I assume cctbx can give
me the point group symmetry operations for the lattice. Then I "just"
need to cycle through at most 48 matrices to see which are compatible
with my coordinates. Assuming I can find that subset, cctbx can
easily tell me the final space group, right? (The answer may be along
the lines of correlation coefficients, but that's alright.)

The problems then are,

1. What basis are the point group symmetry matrices for the lattice in?
2. What about translations?

Am I right in thinking that the P1 map solves the second problem? If
I find all the space groups, down to P1, that contain a subset of my
point group symmetry operations and try all the space group
operations in them again my coordinates, that solves the problem
right?. Can cctbx help me with that?

I'm still not sure about the first issue. I guess one of the
crystallography tomes must define a unique way to represent my
coordinates for a given space group such that the group operations
are also in that basis? How about cctbx helping me with that?

Thanks again for all the help. I am happy to do some coding work on
this myself, but first I need to understand things better.

Best regards.