[cctbxbb] interpreting auto generated python interface documentation

Nathaniel Echols nathaniel.echols at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 09:50:36 PDT 2008

Having spent the last few months trying to learn the python side of cctbx
for my own work, I recommend looking at some of the actual programs that
call these functions (e.g. the various phenix scripts, or testing scripts)
for clues on how to use them.  In particular,
iotbx/pdb/tst_atom_selection.py has examples of selection caches.  (I'm not
sure how exactly the "cache" class fits in, since it isn't invoked directly
in that script, but hopefully the test script has some approximation of what
you're trying to do.)  I haven't found it necessary to look at the C++ code
- boost.python obscures many details anyway, and it's usually pretty obvious
to me what's going on in the python sources based on the
variable/class/function names.
The various CCP4 newsletter articles may have some useful suggestions, but I
haven't looked at these in much detail yet.