[cctbxbb] How to load a structure from a .cif file?

Richard Gildea rgildea at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 05:16:37 PST 2010

Hi Jan,

This should be fairly straightforward:

from cctbx import xray

xs = xray.structure.from_cif(file_path="my.cif")

This will return you an instance of xray.structure. If you have more than
one data block in your cif, you can specify which structure you want to
extract using the block_heading keyword (by default it just returns the
first structure it can successfully extract from the cif). There is also
similar functionality that can be used to extract miller arrays from fcf or
hkl formats.

Please let me know if you have any further questions about this.

Cheers,

Richard