[cctbxbb] crystal packing/unit cell question

Jessica Grant jgrant at smith.edu
Thu Nov 3 12:42:45 PDT 2011

Thanks everyone, for the input.  I have written a little script using
your help.  Attached is an image -- the green is the output of my
script, the blue is the original pdb file.

code looks like this:

from iotbx.file_reader import any_file
import sys
from mmtbx import utils

def run (args) :
	pdb_file = args[0]
	pdb_inp = any_file(pdb_file, force_type="pdb").file_object

	xray = pdb_inp.xray_structure_simple()
	uc = xray.expand_to_p1(sites_mod_positive=True)

	outfile = open("unit_cell.pdb", "w")

	utils.write_pdb_file(xray_structure = uc, pdb_hierarchy =
pdb_inp.construct_hierarchy(), out = outfile)

if __name__ == "__main__" :
	run(sys.argv[1:])

It doesn't look like it is doing quite what I want.  Oh...I just had
the thought that perhaps I should apply the symmetry operators before
using 'expand_to_P1'

Maybe?

Jessica