[cctbxbb] Branches

Luc Bourhis luc_j_bourhis at mac.com
Sun Apr 22 04:44:58 PDT 2012

>> it would be easy to put a crontab on the CCI machine phenix-online, that would periodically update from sourceforge and then push to GitHub.

> Or maybe we could setup a mail account that receives the commit messages which then triggers the git sync?
> Ralf

We first need to clarify what we want the GitHub repo to be for. Two choices here as I see it:
(a) a repo that would fit in the git culture: git afficionados would fork it, do their own development and then send pull notification to us, never using "git svn";
(b) a repo whose sole purpose would be to spare the long time necessary to run "git svn clone" in the first place: users of that repo would share their development with us solely through "git svn dcommit".

I had obviously (b) in mind, hence my not being concerned with a slight lag between sourceforge and GitHub. If option (a) is our goal, then not only the lag shall be minimised but the "master" branch of the GitHub repository should be "dcommited" periodically to sourceforge. And of course, we need a clear policy to deal with those pull requests. That option (b) would be an alternative to give commit rights to sourceforge to "casual" cctbx developers. Thanks to git, it would be easy to checkout and then evaluate their proposed pull, then giving the green light at the press of a button. As usual with git, it's another world entirely…

Luc