[cctbxbb] Problems compiling cctbx on OS X (10.8.0)

Richard Gildea rgildea at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 10:40:27 PDT 2012

As Graeme mentioned you currently need to use --compiler=gcc to force
compilation with gcc over clang for the latest Xcode/OS X (we should
probably try and figure out how to the configure command use gcc by
default). The cctbx *should* build with the more recent versions of clang
(perhaps Luc could comment on this as I think he uses clang regularly),
although depending on what version of Xcode you are using, Apple used to
ship a relatively old version of clang/llvm with Xcode, so clang
compilation might not necessarily work straight out the box.

What output do you get after running "clang --version"?

After upgrading to OS X 10.8/Xcode 4.4 I get:

Apple clang version 4.0 (tags/Apple/clang-421.0.57) (based on LLVM 3.1svn)

which is more recent than with older versions of Xcode.

We should probably add a clang build to our nightly builds at some point in
the near future.

Cheers,

Richard