[cctbxbb] Problems compiling cctbx on OS X (10.8.0)

William G. Scott wgscott at ucsc.edu
Wed Aug 1 11:03:25 PDT 2012

On Aug 1, 2012, at 10:40 AM, Richard Gildea <rgildea at gmail.com> wrote:

> As Graeme mentioned you currently need to use --compiler=gcc to force compilation with gcc over clang for the latest Xcode/OS X (we should probably try and figure out how to the configure command use gcc by default). The cctbx should build with the more recent versions of clang (perhaps Luc could comment on this as I think he uses clang regularly), although depending on what version of Xcode you are using, Apple used to ship a relatively old version of clang/llvm with Xcode, so clang compilation might not necessarily work straight out the box.
>
> What output do you get after running "clang --version"?
>
> After upgrading to OS X 10.8/Xcode 4.4 I get:
>
> Apple clang version 4.0 (tags/Apple/clang-421.0.57) (based on LLVM 3.1svn)
>
> which is more recent than with older versions of Xcode.
>
> We should probably add a clang build to our nightly builds at some point in the near future.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Richard

This is getting progressively more confusing, doubtlessly compounded by the fact that I lose 5 points of IQ for every year I spend in Santa Cruz…

cctbx appears to be using c++, which, for me, is sym linked to clang++  (g++ sym links to llvm-g++-4.2)

If I cut and paste the failing command directly into my shell command-line, and manually reissue either the very same command, or use the full compiler path, be it /usr/bin/c++ or /usr/bin/clang++, or /usr/bin/g++,  it works in each case.