[cctbxbb] Problems compiling cctbx on OS X (10.8.0)

William G. Scott wgscott at ucsc.edu
Wed Aug 1 13:58:27 PDT 2012

On Aug 1, 2012, at 10:40 AM, Richard Gildea <rgildea at gmail.com> wrote:

> As Graeme mentioned you currently need to use --compiler=gcc

OK, I finally did that (I guess properly) and it worked, i.e., this works:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python  ../cctbx_sources/libtbx/configure.py  --compiler=gcc  mmtbx

Notably, even --compiler=gcc-4.2  does not work.  My guess is that invokes clang (now), whereas

llvm-g++-4.2  is invoked using --compiler

which I deduced the hard way.

> to force compilation with gcc over clang for the latest Xcode/OS X (we should probably try and figure out how to the configure command use gcc by default). The cctbx should build with the more recent versions of clang (perhaps Luc could comment on this as I think he uses clang regularly), although depending on what version of Xcode you are using, Apple used to ship a relatively old version of clang/llvm with Xcode, so clang compilation might not necessarily work straight out the box.
>
> What output do you get after running "clang --version"?

Same as you, i.e.,

clang --version
Apple clang version 4.0 (tags/Apple/clang-421.0.57) (based on LLVM 3.1svn)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin12.0.0
Thread model: posix